Facts on Uravan, Colorado
- Uravan, Colorado was in Montrose County, US Zip Code
of 81436, location is
38?2'6"N 108?4'9"W; elevation is 4,992 feet
- Standard Chemical Company (SCC) was the original owner of the Joe Jr. Mill,
named for Joseph Flannery, Junior, the owner. SCC also had a radium refinery
at Cannonsberg, Ohio.
- U.S. Vanadium (USV) was acquired by Union Carbide and
Carbon in 1926.
- In 1929 USV acquired the SCC holdings at what was then known
as the Joe Jr. Camp.
- Uravan received its name in 1936 as a result of a
- "uravan" comes from the first three letters of uranium and
- The Joe Jr. Mill was torn down and USV built a
mill on the hillside that was operational until 1957.
- 1936 is the date that
the mill began production on the hillside.
- The USV mill was part of the
Manhattan project that produced uranium for the first atomic bomb.